Check you’re not missing out on any allowances

You can increase the amount of income you can have tax-free – your Personal Allowance – by claiming additional allowances.

Married Couple’s Allowance could help to reduce your tax bill if all the following apply:

  • you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • you’re living with your spouse or civil partner
  • one of you was born before 6 April 1935.

If you or your partner were born after 6 April 1935, you may be able to claim Marriage Allowance instead.

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,190 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you are on a low income and they earn more than you.

You can get Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • you don’t earn anything or you earn less than £11,850
  • your partner isn't liable for higher or additional rate tax.

You can still apply for Marriage Allowance if you or your partner:

  • are currently receiving a pension
  • live abroad – as long as you get a Personal Allowance.

If you are registered blind or severely sight impaired, you can claim Blind Person’s Tax Allowance, which adds £2,390 to your Personal Allowance.

You can transfer all your allowance to your partner if you don’t pay tax or can’t use all of it.

Contact HMRC to find out how to apply.

Reclaim any overpaid tax

If you have paid too much tax because too much was taken or you didn’t claim an allowance, make sure you claim it back. You won’t receive it automatically.  Call HMRC for help.

Check your tax code

Your tax code tells your employer or pension provider how much tax to take from your pay or pension. If it’s wrong, it could be costing you hundreds of pounds.

Call HMRC if you think your tax code is wrong.

Complete your tax return on time

Most people don’t have to fill in a tax return. If you do, make sure you complete it on time. The deadline is 31 October, or 31 January if you do it online.

You will be fined £100 or more if you miss the deadline.

Next steps

Tax Help for Older People provides free tax advice for people on lower incomes. You can contact them on 01308 488066 or go to

If you want to find out more about tax and how to apply for allowances, call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 or go to

Related publications

Share this article

Print this page

Print this page