Will I have to sell my home to pay for my care home fees?

You might find that you have to sell your home to pay for your care but this won't always be the case. For example, if your partner, or a relative over 60 or who has a disability still lives in the house, you won't have to. In these cases, the council won’t consider the cost of your home when working out how much you must contribute towards your care home fees.

If you do have to sell, your council may offer you a deferred payment agreement so you don’t have to sell immediately. This means that they will loan you the money to cover your fees and and then reclaim it when the property is eventually sold. 

Related publications

Share this article

Print this page