Skip to main content

Information and advice

Two people talking

Our information can help you get the most out of older age. Read about topics including saving money, getting help at home, staying independent and planning for the future.

Woman sitting in sunlightStaying well during summer
Sunny skies and warm days can lift our moods, but it's important to look after yourself when the weather's too hot. Read our webpage for tips on how to stay cool during a heatwave.
A woman using a tabletCan you spot a scam?
Scams often share common features. Try our quiz to find out if you're scamwise.
Two women reading an Independent Age guideOur free advice guides
Our award-winning information guides cover a range of subjects. Download them or order printed copies.
Older man holding photoDealing with bereavement
Coping with a death can be overwhelming. You don't have to go through it alone – there is plenty of help and support you can get. Visit our webpages to find out more.
Sad woman at a windowTime to grieve: The facts
Find out about our campaign Time to Grieve which is calling on the government to increase access to emotional support following a bereavement.

The information and advice on these pages applies to England. A lot of it will still be relevant to you but we have some other suggestions if you are looking for advice that is specific to other parts of the UK.

If you’re in Wales, contact Age Cymru for information and advice.
In Scotland, contact Age Scotland.
In Northern Ireland, contact Age NI.

We are committed to providing high quality information, and are clear about how we produce our information to make sure it is accurate and trustworthy.

Man and woman looking at advice guideJoin our Readers' Panel
Help us to make sure our information is clear, relevant and useful.
Man at steering wheel in a carGetting out and about
It's good to get out of your home if you can, but it can sometimes be a challenge. Read our webpages for tips on travelling when you're older.
An older LGBT couple on a benchRelationships in later life
Partners, friends and family can be an important source of support. Visit our webpages for advice on how to manage relationships in later life.

Regular phone calls and visits from Independent Age

At Independent Age, we offer telephone befriending and volunteer visiting services to reduce isolation among older people.