Skip to full article

Tick the statements that apply to you to see the information that's most relevant

    I want to stay where I'm currently living


    Home adaptations

    Making adaptations to your home can help you live there independently for longer. They could help you with using the bathroom, managing stairs, or using kitchen equipment safely, for instance. Small adaptations include grab rails, a bath seat or a perching stool in the kitchen. Large ones might be fitting a stairlift or installing a downstairs bathroom. You may be eligible for financial help to pay for these.

    Equity release is a way to release money from your home without having to move. It’s a big decision and not suitable for everyone. Equity release can be a way to get money for home repairs or adaptations, for instance, but you must get specialist advice before taking out a scheme.

    I need to live in a more supported home


    Sheltered housing and extra-care housing

    If you need more support at home but don’t need to move into a care home, there are other options available for you.

    Sheltered housing is designed especially for older people. It allows you to live independently in a smaller, easier-to-manage home with the reassurance that emergency help is available should you need it. You will have your own accommodation but there may be communal areas for residents too. Some sheltered housing has a scheme manager or warden and there should be 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system.

    Extra care housing provides more support than sheltered housing but more independence than a care home. There will often be on-site care and support staff to provide personal care and domestic help.

    I need to live somewhere with 24 hour care available


    Care homes

    Care homes provide residential care for people who need substantial help and support with personal care. Trained staff are available 24 hours a day, and some care homes provide nursing care too. It may be time to consider a move to a care home if you need a lot of care (particularly if you need it during the night as well as during the day), and if other housing options aren’t right for you.

    I’m wondering how to pay for a place in a care home


    Paying for care

    Most people will have to pay for at least part of their care home fees themselves, but there are various ways to do this. Following a financial assessment from your local council, they will let you know if you’re eligible for any help from them with your fees and, if so, how much they will contribute. If you’re paying some or all of your fees, you may have to sell your home, take out a deferred payment agreement (where your council loans you the money and then reclaims it when your property is sold or after your death), or consider renting out your home. Take advice if you’re in this situation and don’t rush into any decision.

    Share this article

    Print this page