- More than a million pensioners in the UK are not getting the Pension Credit they are entitled to.
- The Government admits that every year a staggering £2.2 billion earmarked for the poorest pensioners doesn't reach them.
- An unacceptable number of older people are having to juggle between paying for food or fuel. The average weekly payment for Pension Credit could cover both.
- From our polling, we know that 4 in 5 people think it is the Government's responsibility to ensure that all older people who are entitled to Pension Credit receive it.
- We also know that 88% of MPs in the previous Parliament believed that the Government should simplify the Pension Credit system to ensure more older people get the financial help they are entitled to.
What is Independent Age calling for?
We want the Government to recognise this serious, long-term issue and take action.
We are calling on the Government to:
- Conduct high quality commissioned research into who is not claiming Pension Credit. Without knowing this, the Government cannot fully understand the problem.
- Put in place an ambitious action plan outlining how they will increase the uptake of Pension Credit over the next five years. This must be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure it remains effective.
Credit where it's due
Low uptake of Pension Credit
Become a campaigner
Every activity you do, however big or small, will give our campaigns a greater chance of success.