Ingredients (makes 24 cupcakes)
200g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
125ml cup oil (vegetable or olive)
225ml Unsweetened soy or almond milk (this is a taste preference)
2 tbsp vanilla extract
2 large apples chopped in ½ cm chunks
115g vegetable shortening, like Trex
230g icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 -3 tbsp unsweetened soy or almond milk
Handful flaked almonds
1 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c and place cupcake cases in 2 cupcake pans.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the oil, milk, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, add the apple and whisk until combined.
- Fill the cupcake tins with the batter so each cupcake case is two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until firm and spongy to the touch and leave to cool.
- To make the frosting, mix the vegetable shortening until light and fluffy and then with the mixer on a low speed gradually add the icing sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and beat until smooth. This will take between 2 -5 minutes depending on your mixer.
- Either pipe or spread the icing over the cupcakes and sprinkle with flaked almonds and golden syrup.