For the meringue:
3 free-range egg whites
170g caster sugar
1tsp white wine vinegar
200ml double or whipping cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
1tsp whipping cream
1 handful each of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries
1 teaspoon of honey
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees c and make sure that all your equipment is squeaky clean
- Whisk egg whites with a hand blender or standalone mixer until they form white fluffy soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, vinegar and cornflour and whisk until the mixture forms glossy stiff peaks. Meringue is the correct consistency when you can confidently hold the bowl upside down above your head!
- Take a spoonful of the mixture, and place a small blob of it at each corner of a large baking tray, cover with a sheet of grease-proof paper. The blobs of meringue will help the paper to stick.
- Spoon the remaining meringue mixture onto the baking tray in a big circle and smooth, ensuring the edges are thicker to form a bowl for the filling.
- Turn the oven down to 50 degrees c and place the meringue in on the middle shelf.
- Bake for an hour or until the outside forms a hard shell. Turn the oven off, but leave the meringue inside until completely cool.
- Once cooled, mix the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until just stiff, dollop into the middle bowl of your meringue and spread into an even layer.
- Top with your fruit and then sprinkle over a teaspoon of honey.
You can use any fruit you like for the topping. Why not use pineapple, mango and kiwi for an exotic twist.