The power of a good chat
If you’re feeling in need of a good chat with someone who cares – perhaps because you’re living on your own or your health isn’t what it used to be – our volunteers can make regular visits to your home.
“I wouldn’t say I’m lonely. I don’t go for days without speaking to anyone. Though many days I am at home all day on my own, and I do miss having someone to talk to…”
How it works
- You sign up for as long or as short a time as you like.
- You’ll catch up with your volunteer at a regular time that suits you both.
- If you decide your volunteer isn’t working out, you can let us know and we’ll find you someone else.
- You won’t be charged – friendship is free!
It’s never too late to make a new friend
As you get older it’s common to find that your social circle starts to shrink. But it’s never too late to have a new friendship. Our volunteers are fully trained, have had all the necessary checks you’d expect and supported by Independent Age staff. We’ll also check in with you from time to time to see how things are going.
If you would like to refer someone to our Friendship Service
Our friendship services are designed for those most lonely and in their later years. We talk to everyone who applies to see what they want from the service and if our service is right for them.
For some older people, their health conditions may mean they struggle to access or use the service. Conditions such as significant memory loss, for example, can sometimes mean an individual struggles to build a friendship with the volunteer and may even find this distressing. Please discuss with us if you have any doubts.
The points below are here to assist you decide if our service will suit the older person you support:
• Are they an older person who is lonely?
• Do they have a health condition which could prevent them fully participating in and enjoying a friendship visit or call?
• Will they be able to remember when a visit or call will take place?
• Are they comfortable about receiving a regular call or visit from a volunteer?
• Do they know you are making this referral? Are they happy for Independent Age to contact them?
If you do wish to refer an older person into our services or have further questions about the service, please call 0800 319 6789 and quote Regular 38.