Getting started

Start by getting a care needs assessment from your local council to work out what help you need and how you might get it. You're entitled to a free assessment if it looks like you need care and support, regardless of your income and savings. 

You'll be given a copy of your assessment afterwards, explaining what your care needs are. You'll also be told whether your needs are high enough to qualify for help from the council. There are various types of help the assessment might suggest you need, including disability equipment, home adaptations, help from a care worker or residential care in a care home. 

Our free guide Paying for your care has more information about how the assessment works. Order your free guide here.

Paying for care at home

Care and support services at home aren't free, so your local council will look at your finances to decide how much you'll have to contribute towards the cost of your care. You’ll only be asked to pay what you can afford and they can’t charge anyone else, such as your partner.

Our page on paying for care services at home explains how this works.

Paying for care in a care home

Residential care is expensive, so find out whether you're entitled to any help with the costs. Our page on paying for care in a care home explains how the financial assessment works and how your contribution is worked out. 

Order a copy of our free guide

Many people end up paying for care themselves, whether at home or in a care home. Our free guide Paying for your care can help you understand your options, different ways to pay for care, and what to do if your finances change. It can help you make sure you're getting everything you're entitled to and think about what you can afford in the long-term. Download or order it now, whether you're paying for your own care or helping someone who is.

Related publications

Share this article

Print this page