Why free personal care?
- The current care system is leaving 1.4 million older people without the support they need for basic everyday tasks
- Whilst people with cancer get free treatment on the NHS others with dementia are being forced to sell their family homes to pay for their care
- With free personal care everyone who needs support with simple but important activities like getting out of bed, getting washed, or cooking food would get the support that they need.
- Free personal care has already been proved to work in Scotland where it was introduced nearly two decades ago
Free personal care would:
- Make care free at the point of use like the NHS, giving certainty and security when you need it most
- Ensure everyone gets the care they need
- Reduce the risk of people having to sell their family home to pay for care
- Massively reduce the number of older people stuck in hospital waiting for care to be organised and save the NHS money
- Give struggling families the chance to spend more quality time with their loved ones
- Help build a fairer society that cares for everyone
Take action now
Politicians in Westminster have consistently failed to act, so we are calling on local politicians to support free personal care and keep up the pressure on the government.