Skip to full article

Tick the statements that apply to you to see the information that's most relevant

    I need some extra help and support at home

    Getting help at home

    If you need some extra help at home, there are various options available. Think about the particular tasks you find difficult and what would ease your workload. For example, if you’re finding it hard to mow the lawn, you could get a gardener for a couple of hours a week. If you can manage light housework but not bigger tasks such as cleaning the oven or changing the beds, you could employ a cleaner for a few hours a week.

    If you need help with personal care, you could get a carer to come in a help you to wash, get dressed or take medication, for instance. Start by asking your local council for a care needs assessment to find out what support you need and whether you’re eligible for help from them. You can also consider arranging a carer privately.

    I am a carer

    Getting support with caring

    Providing care to a relative, partner or friend can be rewarded but also tiring, stressful and costly. There is help available to you with your caring responsibilities.

    Start by asking your local council for a carer’s assessment to find out what help you qualify for. You may be eligible for practical, financial and emotional help. You may qualify for a weekly benefit called Carer's Allowance, depending on how much care you provide and whether the person you care for receives certain benefits.

    Share this article

    Email Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

    Print this page

    Print this page