Skip to full article

Tick the statements that apply to you to see the information that's most relevant

    I am over State Pension age

    Pension Credit

    There are two parts to Pension Credit.

    • Guarantee Pension Credit tops up your weekly income to a minimum amount decided by the government – usually £182.60 for single people or £278.70 for couples. It can be higher than this if you have certain extra costs. 
    • Savings Pension Credit is an extra payment if you’ve reached State Pension age and have saved some money towards retirement. If you’re single, you can’t make a new claim for Savings Credit if you reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. But, if you’re already receiving it, you’ll continue to get it. If you’re a couple and one of you reached State Pension age by 6 April 2016, you might still be able to claim.

    It’s worth claiming even a small amount of Guarantee Pension Credit because it unlocks other benefits. That could mean more than £200 extra a week, depending on your circumstances. For example, you may get help with your rent and Council Tax or qualify for extra money if you’re disabled or a carer.

    Winter Fuel Payment

    If you've reached State Pension age, you’re entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment of between £100 and £300 in winter 2022/23. How much you get depends on your age and circumstances.

    If you qualify and you or your partner receive State Pension or certain other benefits, you’ll get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically. If you qualify but you’re not receiving benefits, you only need to claim once – after that, you should get it automatically every year.

    I have a long-term health condition or disability and I’m over State Pension age

    Attendance Allowance

    You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance (AA) if you:

    • are over State Pension age
    • have a long-term health condition or disability
    • need help with personal care such as washing, dressing or eating, or help to keep you safe.

    Eligibility for AA isn’t based on your income or savings, just your level of care needs.

    If you qualify, AA is worth up to £61.85 a week at the lower rate (if you need help in the day or at night) and £92.40 at the higher rate (if you need help both day and night). If you get AA, you may also become entitled to other benefits, such as Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, or an increase in these benefits.

    Even if your claim is initially turned down, it may succeed on appeal, so don’t give up. Call us or another advice agency for help.

    If you're already getting Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance, don't claim Attendance Allowance - call us for advice.

    I have a long-term health condition or disability and I’m under State Pension age

    Personal Independence Payment

    Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people under State Pension age who need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term health condition or disability. Once you reach State Pension age, you can carry on getting PIP for as long as you qualify.

    How much you get depends on how your condition affects you, but you could get between £24.45 and £156.90 a week.

    If you receive the enhanced rate of the mobility part of PIP, you can get help with leasing a car, scooter or electric wheelchair.

    I'm on a low income

    Local welfare assistance schemes and the Social Fund

    If you’re living on a low income, it can be hard to meet the cost of unplanned expenses, such as a broken-down washing machine, home repairs or a funeral. The good news is that you may qualify for a one-off grant, loan or other type of help from your council or the Social Fund, depending on your income or what benefits you claim.


    Grants from charities for people on a low income

    Even if you can’t claim anything from your local council or the DWP, there may be a charity that can help. You may qualify for a one-off grant or small regular payments.

    I need help with personal care tasks such as washing, dressing and eating

    Social care support

    If you could do with some help with personal care, such as washing, dressing and eating, contact your local council and ask for a free care needs assessment. An assessor will visit to discuss the type of help you need, which could be home adaptations or visits from a care worker.

    If you qualify for help, you may need to contribute towards the costs, depending on your income and savings.

    You may be able to claim a disability benefit, such as Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.


    I care for someone with a disability

    Carer's Allowance

    If you’re a carer, you may be entitled to a benefit called Carer’s Allowance. You may qualify if you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone who receives a disability benefit.

    Sometimes, claiming Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you care for. Call us for advice before you claim.

    Related publications

    Share this article

    Print this page