Who does it affect?

The benefit cap doesn’t apply to everyone. It will only affect you if you are:

  • of working age
  • receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

Some people are exempt from the cap. For example, if you or your partner are receiving certain other benefits, such as Attendance Allowance, Carer's Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, the benefit cap won’t apply.

If you are over State Pension age, even if you are not actually getting it, the benefit cap will not apply. And if you are in a mixed age couple you will usually be exempt, unless you or your partner are continuing to claim certain working age benefits.

You also won't be affected if you are working or you claim Universal Credit in certain circumstances.

If you are affected, you might be able to claim other benefits that would exempt you from the cap. Call Independent Age on 0800 319 6789 for advice.

Next steps

To find out more about the benefit cap, visit gov.uk/benefit-cap

Share this article

Print this page