I don’t agree with the council’s assessment of my needs, how can I challenge it?

If you disagree with your council's decision not to give you support, or you don't think you've been offered enough care to meet your needs, you have a right to challenge this decision.

Ask your council for a written explanation of their assessment and how they came to their decision. If you think it's unfair, you can ask for your case to be reassessed. It may be that the assessor simply misunderstood something which can be easily fixed. If you're still unhappy, ask for a copy of the council social services department’s complaints procedure and how to use it. This will explain how to make a formal written complaint.

Making a complaint can be daunting. You can ask a friend or relative to make a complaint on your behalf. If you don't have anyone to support you, you might get help from an independent advocate. Our factsheet on independent advocacy has more information. 

Related publications

Share this article

Print this page