How do I get support from the council?

If you could do with some help to stay living independently at home, ask your local council for a care needs assessment. This is free, no matter what your income and savings or how much help you think you need.

A trained care specialist will come to your home to assess you. You can talk to them about any difficulties you have in looking after yourself, and how this affects your wellbeing. After the assessment, you will get a care plan showing what your needs are and what support might help you. This could be disability equipment, help from carers, meals on wheels, or residential care, for example.  

The care plan will also say if your needs are high enough to qualify for help from the council. If so, you will have a financial assessment to see whether you should contribute towards the costs or whether the council will cover the full costs. This will look at your income and savings. 

Share this article

Print this page