Coronavirus: changes to services

Some of the information on this page may have changed as a result of the coronavirus emergency. For the latest information, please check our changes to services page.

Who can claim Personal Independence Payment?

You may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if you:

  • are under State Pension age
  • have difficulties with daily activities or mobility outdoors, or both, because of a disability or long-term physical or mental health problems. 

Daily activities could include things like:

  • washing and bathing
  • getting dressed and undressed
  • preparing food
  • managing treatment
  • reading and understanding signs, symbols and words
  • communicating.

For a full list of daily activities, see our Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance factsheet.

The two mobility activities that are assessed are:

  • planning and following a journey
  • moving around.

PIP has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for anyone making a new claim, so if you’re claiming for the first time you’ll need to claim PIP. If you’re over State Pension age, you should apply for Attendance Allowance instead.

PIP isn't means-tested, so you can claim regardless of your income and savings. You can still claim even if you have work, study or caring responsibilities.

If you’re currently claiming DLA

PIP is gradually replacing DLA. If you’re claiming DLA and were 65 or over on 8 April 2013, this change won’t affect you and you’ll stay on DLA for as long as you remain entitled to it. If you were under 65 on that date, you’ll eventually be invited to apply for PIP instead. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will tell you when to do this. If you don't apply when invited, your DLA will stop.

Don’t apply for PIP until you’re contacted by the DWP, because there’s no guarantee you’ll be awarded PIP and you risk losing your DLA. If you want to claim PIP before you're invited, get advice first. Contact your local Citizens Advice.

How much is it worth?

There are two different rates for each component of PIP. You may be able to receive one or both components.

Daily Living Component weekly rate

  • Standard - £59.70

      if you have a limited ability to carry out daily living activities

  • Enhanced - £89.15

      if you have a severely limited ability to carry out daily living activities 

Mobility Component weekly rate

  • Standard - £23.60

      if you have limited mobility

  • Enhanced - £62.25 

      if you have severely limited mobility. You can also access the Motability scheme to hire or buy a car, scooter or powered wheelchair.

You don’t have to spend your PIP on care – it’s up to you how you spend the money. Claiming PIP won’t reduce the amount you receive from other benefits.

How do I claim?

You can no longer make a claim for DLA. If you’re claiming for the first time, apply for PIP.

Call the DWP on 0800 917 2222. They’ll ask you for some basic details, then send you an application form. You can’t apply online.

When you fill in the form, give as much detail as you can about how your condition affects you. For tips on filling in the application form, see our Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance factsheet.

If you're terminally ill, you don't have to complete a claim form.

Once your claim form has been assessed, you’ll normally have to attend a face-to-face assessment.

The DWP will then write to you to let you know the outcome of your claim. If you’re turned down for PIP, you generally have one month to make an appeal.

If you need help completing the application form, preparing for assessments or making an appeal, contact your local Age UK or Citizens Advice. You can also ask the DWP for help if your disability or health condition makes it difficult for you to claim or to attend face-to-face meetings - for example, if you have problems reading or filling in a form, using a phone or computer, or understanding complex information. Find out more about the help available on

The DWP has put together a series of videos explaining the key stages in applying for PIP. These include advice on what you need to send to support your claim and information about what should happen at your assessment.

Next steps

For more information on PIP, go to


Related publications

Share this article

Print this page

Print this page