Housing costs can take up a big part of our budgets, but if you’re on a low income you could be entitled to extra money towards your rent or mortgage.

Next steps

To apply for Housing Benefit, contact your local council to ask for a claim form. You can find their contact details on Gov.uk. If you don't hear anything after 2 weeks, you can contact them to ask for an update on your application.

For more information on SMI loans, visit Gov.uk.

Related publications