If you need some support to look after yourself at home, you may qualify for help to pay for this from your local council. Your eligibility is usually worked out in a financial assessment. This factsheet looks at how this assessment works in England.

If you want to know about the financial assessment for receiving care in a care home, rather than in your own home, see our factsheet Paying care home fees.

If you need this information in a different format (such as audio or large print), please contact us