If you’re finding it difficult to manage everyday tasks, you may be entitled to help from your local council’s adult social services department. The first step is an assessment of your needs.

This factsheet explains how to ask for a care needs assessment, how the assessment works, and what care and support services you may qualify for. It also explains how you can arrange your own care and manage the payment yourself.

At the moment, this factsheet covers England and Wales only. We are updating our information to make it relevant for people living in Scotland. In the meantime, please visit Age Scotland or Care Info Scotland.

If you need this information in a different format (such as audio or large print), please contact us