If you need help from the council to pay for your care, you’ll usually have a financial assessment to work out how much you should contribute to the costs. You might be tempted to spend your money or give away property so the amount you have to pay reduces. However, there are strict rules to stop you from doing this.

This factsheet looks at what happens if you transfer your property, spend large sums of money or do anything else to reduce your assets before moving into a care home or using other care services.