If you’re at risk of domestic abuse and you need to escape, you can leave your home - the instruction to stay at home does not apply.

If you’re in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. If you’re worried about being overheard or it’s dangerous for you to speak, listen to what’s said and try to answer by tapping the phone or coughing. Follow the instructions. If you call 999 from a mobile, press 55 when told to and your call will be transferred to the police.

Ask for ANI codeword scheme

If you’re experiencing domestic abuse and need immediate help, you can ‘ask for ANI’ – pronounced Annie, like the name – in some pharmacies. ANI stands for Action Needed Immediately. Pharmacies that are taking part will display the Ask for ANI logo.

The pharmacy will offer you a private space and a phone. They’ll ask if you need support from the police or other domestic abuse support services.

Get support

If you have any concerns about yourself or another person, you can get support from helplines, chatlines, refuges and other services. These are some of the organisations that can offer free, confidential help and advice:

For more information and details of other organisations that may be able to help, visit Gov.uk.

Help from your council

If you’re thinking of leaving your home, seek advice. Your local council must give you information about your housing rights if you’re at risk of homelessness. You can also contact Shelter for urgent advice.

Domestic abuse isn’t only physical violence. If you’re experiencing any form of abuse, it’s important to speak out to stop it. Your local council has a duty to keep everyone safe from abuse and neglect. They should have a dedicated safeguarding team for reporting concerns or you can contact their adult social care department. Read our information on different types of abuse for more about how you can protect yourself.

Share this article

Print this page